Saturday, July 16, 2016

Wendy Williams and HBCUs



Morning talk show host, Wendy Williams, recently made comments regarding Historically Black Colleges and Universities that didn't set well with many:

...I would be really offended if there was a school that was known as a historically white college. We have historically black colleges.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities(HBCUs) were created in the first place because blacks couldn't attend white universities. Secondly, I attended an HBCU(Southern University) where I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Political Science. I am white. Just because the overwhelming majority of individuals attending HBCUs are black doesn't mean these institutions discriminate on the basis of color. If they did, I would never have been able to attend and receive the quality education that I did. Let it also be said that Southern University was the only school that accepted me. They did for me what predominately white schools wouldn't. For that, I am eternally grateful. These institutes of higher learning serve a critical purpose and should never be dismantled.

As the result of Williams's comment, however, Chevy pulled out as a major sponsor of her show. We all have learning curves and teachable moments. Unfortunately, we are inching ever so closer toward a nation of robots where everyone will soon be afraid to voice their opinions out of fear of the backlash to come. This will not end discrimination. If anything, it will end further dialogues on topics we desperately need conversations on. If we were as outraged by the epidemic of human trafficking as we were about the opinions of others, we might possibly affect real change. But, then again, that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment